Building your dream home is more than just choosing beautiful fit and finishes, it is about choosing the team of professionals who will be dedicated to getting it right. As with any service, you deserve to know and understand the expectations, ensuring a quality product and your satisfaction. However, the build process can be complex and lengthy-no matter how incredible the team. It is best to be prepared, do your research and present questions that will keep you educated and aware. These questions will also help to strengthen the communication between you and your chosen builder- a key factor to a successful build and a gorgeous custom home for you!
Here is a list of questions that we have compiled, organized by subtopic, and recommend that you ask your home builder. We hope that these will spark further questions and curiosity as you partner with one of Destin’s elite builder team members including Bost Custom Homes, Rufty Homes, Sage Built, and Sundance Signature Homes.
1. What year did your company begin? How many homes have you built?
2. Where do you build?
3. Can you share homeowner references with me?
1. What sets you apart from your competition?
2. Do you have any model or inventory homes that I can walk through? If not, do you have
any homeowners who would allow me to tour their home?
3. How does your warranty work?
4. What type of energy-saving features do you include in your home? What high-performance options should we consider?
5. Do you have any minimum specifications or standards for construction methods or materials?
6. What is your most popular custom feature that is requested?
7. Can you build a plan that I have already had drawn or must I choose from floorplans that
8. Can I purchase my appliances through you or can I provide them after closing?
1. Who is my main point of contact? Will I have different contacts throughout the process?
2. What is the best way to communicate?
3. When can I visit the home during the build process? What rules or guidelines must I consider before and during the visit?
4. What is your change order process?
5. How long will the build time be for my home?
6. What additional fees are there (HOA, club dues, Architectural Review Board)?
7. Can I get a copy of any bylaws or rules associated with these third parties (HOA, clubs, ARB)?
8. What is the walk-thru schedule?
9. Can you tell me more about the inspection process?
1. Can you install materials that I have purchased on my own? Will there be a credit on materials that I do not need that are already included in the base price?
2. What type of landscaping package is included? What landscaping options are there from which I can choose? Also, is there any warranty on landscape items.
1. What types of contracts do you offer? What are the pros and cons of each type?
2. Do you have any incentives if I use one of your preferred lenders? Who are your preferred lenders?
3. How and when is final pricing determined?
Once you have received the answers to the above questions (and probably a few more!), you will be well educated on the custom building process and the builder you are working with. Between a desirable location, active-lifestyle amenities, exclusive concierge services, and the best group of custom builders in The Triangle, Destin offers everything you need in a luxury new home community. The only thing that is needed is you! Put these questions to use while getting to know the builders in Destin.
For more information, visit DestinNC.com